Clear some space on your DVR as Destination America, a cable television station, will present a Magical Week of Disney Programing beginning Monday April 29, 2013. Destination America’s week of specials will dedicate five nights to the Wonderful World of Disney. Each night’s featured program will included behind-the-scenes footage and interviews with Imagineers, as well as others who bring the Disney magic to life according to a press release posted on TVbytheNumbers.
Destination American’s Disney Week beings on April 29th with the first of four hour long specials, Walt Disney World: Behind the Scenes (2004). Viewers will get an unprecedented look behind the scenes at Walt Disney World Resort attractions to learn how four theme parks, two water parks, and endless visitor accommodations keep fans and families coming back year after year to the nation’s number one vacation destination.
Immediately following the Walt Disney World special at 9 PM is the highlight of the week (at least for me), Disney Cruise Line: Behind the Magic. The special promises to take viewers on a high seas adventure aboard the newest Disney Cruise Line vessels: [Disney_Fantasy] and [Disney_Dream] as well as classic favorites [Disney_Magic] and [Disney_Wonder]. Viewers will be taken on a journey through the ships’ inner workings and experience how creative technology is taken to a whole new level of innovation with entertaining features like Enchanted Art and an onboard water-coaster that juts out over the ocean. Secrets of the state rooms, restaurants, live productions and your favorite Disney characters all come to light in this hour of maritime magic. Footage was shot on the Dream this past February.
Viewers will go behind the scenes to uncover mysteries and stories behind the Disney company’s first theme park on Tuesday with Disneyland Resort: Behind the Scenes. The special will show the evolution of the park from it’s beginning in 1955 to last year’s expansion at Disney California Adventure.
Wednesday is dedicated to the trill seekers with Ultimate Walt Disney World, a look at the top rides from the newly reimagined Test Track and Mission: SPACE to the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror and Expedition Everest. I just wonder if the Yeti will be working?
So you thing you know all about the Disney Parks? Well, tune in Thursday for Undiscovered Disney Parks (2010) where viewers will be shown little-known sites and attractions often overlooked. In Disneyland, walk in Walt Disney’s footsteps and discover secret spots he at one time would frequent. I think there is a good chance there will be a tour of Walt’s Apartment. Then fly to Orlando to learn to surf, design and test your very own roller coster, venture out on a private safari and get behind the wheel of a real race car.
Finally, on Friday there will be an encore presentation of Disney Cruise Line: Behind the Magic.
Destination America’s Disney Week Schedule
All times EST/PST – Check your local listings
Monday April 29, 2013
- 8 PM – Walt Disney World: Behind the Scenes
- 9 PM – Disney Cruise Line: Behind the Magic
- 10 PM – Undiscovered Disney Parks
- 11 PM – Walt Disney World: Behind the Scenes
Tuesday April 30, 2013
- 12 AM – Disney Cruise Line: Behind the Magic
- 1 AM – Undiscovered Disney Parks
- 7 PM – Disney’s Animal Kingdom
- 8 PM – Disneyland Resort: Behind the Scenes
- 11 PM – Disneyland Resort: Behind the Scenes
Wednesday May 1, 2013
- 2 AM – Disney’s Animal Kingdom
- 8 PM – Ultimate Walt Disney World
- 11 PM – Ultimate Walt Disney World
Thursday May 2, 2013
Non Disney, but Cruise Ship related shows
- 4 PM – Extreme Cruise Ship
- 5 PM – Mighty Ships
- 6 PM – Ultimate Cruise Ship: Building the Freedom of the Seas
- 7 PM – Disneyland Resort: Behind the Scenes
- 8 PM – Undiscovered Disney Parks
- 11 PM – Undiscovered Disney Parks
Friday May 3, 2013
- 2 AM – Disneyland Resort: Behind the Scenes
- 7 PM – Walt Disney World: Behind the Scenes
- 8 PM – Disney Cruise Line: Behind the Magic (Encore Presentation)
- 9 PM – Ultimate Walt Disney World
- 10 PM – Disneyland Resort: Behind the Scenes
- 11 PM – Disney Cruise Line: Behind the Magic
Saturday May 4, 2013
- 12 AM – Ultimate Walt Disney World
- 1 AM – Disneyland Resort: Behind the Scenes
- 2 AM – Walt Disney World: Behind the Scenes
Not sure if you have Destination America? Click on over to the channel finder and set your DVR!
The majority of these specials seem to be from the Disney Parks: The Secrets, Stories and Magic Behind the Scenes DVD box set that I mentioned in last week’s Disney Cruise Line documentaries article. The DVD includes the following specials (click on the title to view in iTunes):
- Walt Disney World Resort: Behind the Scenes
- Disneyland Resort: Behind the Scenes
- Ultimate Walt Disney World
- Disney’s Animal Kingdom
- Disney Cruise Line
- Undiscovered Disney Parks
The specials from the box set are also available to stream on Netflix.
It is not totally clear if Destination America is simply rebroadcasting the specials from the box set, or if these are updated versions. We do know that the Disney Cruise Line special is new, with footage shot as recently as February on the [Disney_Dream].
UPDATE: The full video of Disney Cruise Line: Behind the Magic (2013) has been posted on YouTube. Not sure how long this full episode will remain online, although I know Destination America is aware that it is on YouTube, so if it has not been taken down by now it may just remain online for our on demand enjoyment.
Thanks for the information! Our family was one of the two families interviewed by High Noon Entertainment on the Dream this past February for this show and we have been dying to know when it will air. Ok so now I am REALLY nervous about really seeing the interview!!!
This is great, can’t wait to watch this! Setting the DVR now.
Our DVR guide only shows through May 1st right now. Are you able to see the schedule for Thursday & Friday?
Do you know if these are brand new shows or just new to this network? I’ve seen similarly titled shows on other channels.
It is a mixture if old and new. The DCL special is all new.
Thanks for the info!