Port Canaveral Update: Officials Preparing to Assess Facilities & Survey Harbor

Port Canaveral issued the following status update as Hurricane Matthew continues to move away from Brevard County.

October 7, 2016

As Port Canaveral continues to experience impacts from Hurricane Matthew, officials are preparing to assess facilities and survey the harbor to determine when it is safe to re-open and resume normal business operations.

10/7 4PM Update
Canaveral Authority is currently conducting port assessments today and into tomorrow morning. Roadways & bridges are open, and lease holders, owners, and employees may re-enter the port. Guests and visitors are requested to remain outside of the port until tomorrow at noon.

21 Replies to “Port Canaveral Update: Officials Preparing to Assess Facilities & Survey Harbor”

  1. Pam

    Hi Scott! Have you heard anything about the status of Castaway Cay and the potential damage it endured as a result of the hurricane? It sure looked as if Hurricane Matthew hit the Bahamas pretty hard. Thanks for all your previous updates!

    1. Robert

      I’m currently on one of the ships right now, I heard that castaway is fine, we are due to go back as scheduled next Friday

  2. Bill K

    The Port of Miami has reopened this morning and Port Everglades in Ft Lauderdale reopened about 1PM on Friday.

  3. ADD

    Any further updates? We’re driving 10 hours down to get on the Fantasy Sunday and only want to leave if the port will be open. Thanks!

  4. liz

    What about Port Canaveral has it opened, there’s a ship , the magic that is coming in tomorrow afternoon from Belize, is it safe now?

  5. Athens

    Many fan sites are reporting Castway Cay took damage but nothing outside what they expected. A skeleton crew stayed behind in the storm shelter and are ok from what little info there is. I would assume the biggest problem is how badly the trench the ship docks in was filled in by sand.

    1. Scott Sanders Post author

      Thanks for the info. Due to the nature of this situation, I am only publishing information that I can confirm. I do not want to chance sharing info on Castaway Cay then find out it was completely false after guest who may be allowed to cancel decide to stay on the sailing.

      1. J

        Captain on the Dream also reported on Friday that crew on Castaway Cay were safe and that conditions were not as bad as they could have been.


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.