Disney Dream’s Current Sailing Extended and the Next Cancelled Due to Hurricane Dorian – Castaway Cay Update

Disney Cruise Line made the decision to extend the current Disney Dream sailing as a return to Port Canaveral as scheduled seems more and more unlikely. With the extension of the current sailing this results in the previously announced shortened 4- to 2-Night has been canceled with guest receiving a full refund of their voyage fare, and a 20% discount on a future cruise.

NHC Hurricane Dorian 20190901 5pm

The revised itinerary for the August 30th sailing is as follows:

  1. Friday August 30, 2019 – Port Canaveral
  2. Saturday August 31, 2019 – At Sea
  3. Sunday September 1, 2019 – Cozumel
  4. Monday September 2, 2019 – Grand Cayman
  5. Tuesday September 3, 2019 – At Sea
  6. Wednesday September 4, 2019 – Castaway Cay
    Thursday September 5, 2019 – Port Canaveral (Debarkation)

Below is Disney Cruise Line’s 3:30 pm update on these changes.

Disney Cruise Line’s Tropical Weather Update
September 1, 2019 – 3:30 p.m. 

We continue to closely monitor the path and progress of Hurricane Dorian to ensure our guests enjoy safe and comfortable cruises, and to make certain our ships steer clear of the storm. The safety of our guests and crew is always our foremost concern. Since all tropical storms and hurricanes are inherently unpredictable, our plans may change from day to day based on the most current information. Please check this site often for the most up to date information. 

Disney Dream – current sailing – UPDATED 

Disney Dream’s current sailing was scheduled to return to Port Canaveral on Wednesday, September 4. However, after careful review of the currently forecasted path, and conversations with port officials in Florida, it does not seem likely that Port Canaveral will be available for our return on Wednesday. 

Because of this, we will need to further extend this sailing and now expect Disney Dream to return to Port Canaveral one day later, on Thursday, September 5. 

Since Disney Dream will now have additional time at sea, we have arranged a port call for tomorrow, Monday, September 2, in Grand Cayman. 

Disney Dream – Monday, September 2 changed to Wednesday, September 4 – UPDATED 

While we had hoped to preserve some portion of the voyage for our Guests’ enjoyment, we have had to change our plans given the inherently unpredictable nature of tropical storms and hurricanes. After careful review of the currently forecasted path, and conversations with port officials in Florida, we have decided to cancel the sailing completely. We understand this may be disappointing news, but we feel this was a necessary decision. The safety of our Guests and crew members is always our foremost concern. 

Since the sailing was cancelled, Guests are eligible for a full refund of their voyage fare. Additionally, we want to offer Guests an opportunity to sail with us again and will provide them with a 20% discount on a future cruise. 

Guests should contact us at 1-866-325-3905 or 407-566-7032 between Monday, September 9, 2019, and Thursday, October 31, 2019, to let us know if they would like to apply their credit to a new sail date between now and December 31, 2020, or receive a full refund. Guests who already moved to a different voyage will be able to apply the discount to their new sailing (some restrictions may apply). 

We are truly sorry for the storm’s impact on our Guest’s vacation, and appreciate their understanding given the continued unpredictability of Hurricane Dorian’s path.

Below is Disney Cruise Line’s 8:15 pm update with an update on Castaway Cay.

Tropical Weather Update
September 1, 2019 – 8:15 p.m.

We continue to closely monitor the path and progress of Hurricane Dorian to ensure our guests enjoy safe and comfortable cruises, and to make certain our ships steer clear of the storm. The safety of our guests and crew is always our foremost concern. Since all tropical storms and hurricanes are inherently unpredictable, our plans may change from day to day based on the most current information. Please check this site often for the most up to date information.

Disney Dream – current sailing – UPDATED

Disney Dream’s current sailing was scheduled to return to Port Canaveral on Wednesday, September 4. However, after careful review of the currently forecasted path, and conversations with port officials in Florida, it does not seem likely that Port Canaveral will be available for our return on Wednesday.

Because of this, we will need to further extend this sailing and now expect Disney Dream to return to Port Canaveral one day later, on Thursday, September 5.

Since Disney Dream will now have additional time at sea, we have arranged a port call for tomorrow, Monday, September 2, in Grand Cayman.

Disney Dream – Monday, September 2 changed to Wednesday, September 4 – UPDATED

While we had hoped to preserve some portion of the voyage for our Guests’ enjoyment, we have had to change our plans given the inherently unpredictable nature of tropical storms and hurricanes. After careful review of the currently forecasted path, and conversations with port officials in Florida, we have decided to cancel the sailing completely. We understand this may be disappointing news, but we feel this was a necessary decision. The safety of our Guests and crew members is always our foremost concern.

Since the sailing was cancelled, Guests are eligible for a full refund of their voyage fare. Additionally, we want to offer Guests an opportunity to sail with us again and will provide them with a 20% discount on a future cruise.

Guests should contact us at 1-866-325-3905 or 407-566-7032 between Monday, September 9, 2019, and Thursday, October 31, 2019, to let us know if they would like to apply their credit to a new sail date between now and December 31, 2020, or receive a full refund. Guests who already moved to a different voyage will be able to apply the discount to their new sailing (some restrictions may apply).

We are truly sorry for the storm’s impact on our Guest’s vacation, and appreciate their understanding given the continued unpredictability of Hurricane Dorian’s path.

Castaway Cay Update

Many of our guests have asked questions about Castaway Cay. Some of our Crew remained on the island and their care and safety is our highest priority. We are in regular contact with island leadership, who is making sure our Crew is well taken care of in our storm shelter, which is designed for these types of situations and has restrooms, power and is well stocked with food and water. Castaway Cay remains south of the more significant weather and is currently experiencing tropical storm force winds, which based on the current forecast, are expected for the next several hours before gradually diminishing. Our thoughts are with the people in areas of The Bahamas that are being impacted by this storm and we stand ready to contribute to recovery efforts.

UPDATE ON CASTAWAY CAY – September 2, 2019

Castaway Cay – UPDATED
Many of our Guests have asked questions about Castaway Cay. Some of our Crew remained on the island and their care and safety is our highest priority. As forecasted, sustained winds on the island did not extend beyond tropical force strength and our Crew has returned to their living quarters after spending a few hours in our storm shelter yesterday. Our thoughts continue to be with the people in areas of The Bahamas that are being impacted by this storm and we stand ready to contribute to recovery efforts.

UPDATE ON CASTAWAY CAY – September 3, 2019

The Orlando Sentinel had this quote from Disney Cruise Line’s Kim Prunty.

“All is well at Castaway Cay,” said Disney Cruise Line spokeswoman Kim Prunty. “Due to the tropical storm conditions the island experienced, we have some cleaning up to do related to landscaping and will need to make minor repairs to the roof of one small covered pavilion area. We are awaiting the arrival of survey equipment to evaluate the pier and ship channel, as is required after any storm, before we are able to reopen Castaway Cay to guests.”

We will continue to monitor Hurricane Dorian and pass along any itinerary updates as they become available.

5 thoughts on “Disney Dream’s Current Sailing Extended and the Next Cancelled Due to Hurricane Dorian – Castaway Cay Update

    1. Scott Sanders Post author

      The cruise has been entered as a 7-night cruise into my database to account for the day before the next scheduled cruise. This could lead to an overnight in Port Canaveral as guests arrange transportation home, if the Port is still closed another day at sea, or a day where there are no passengers onboard. Once Hurricane Dorian is moved away and the Dream returns we will update this sailing for the historical record.

      Reply

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.