Port Canaveral plans to open on Sunday afternoon following the wrath of Hurricane Matthew which brought high winds and rain overnight, but left behind minimal damage to Port Canaveral. There Port plans to resume full operations tomorrow afternoon pending U.S. Coast Guard Captain of the Port approval.
“We are fortunate that our cruise terminals, cargo piers, and infrastructure are intact and ready to support our customers as soon as we have the green light tomorrow from the U.S. Coast Guard,” said Port Canaveral CEO John Murray.
The Disney Dream has already informed passengers they plan to arrive at Port Canaveral on Saturday and are giving passengers the choice to remain on the ship until Sunday.
The Disney Fantasy will return on Sunday to debark passengers and sail on a shortened 6-night Western Caribbean cruise.
Port assessment teams spent the entire day surveying facilities and ensuring there were no obstacles to reopening the harbor and landside operations. Florida Gov. Rick Scott was in the area during part of the day for a firsthand look at the storm’s impact.
Initial assessments show Port Canaveral harbor is navigable with no obstructions. Cargo piers remain intact with minimal damage to cruise terminals. Some Port tenants experienced some damage to their properties.
To assist our community with recovery from Hurricane Matthew, the Canaveral Port Authority is providing 80-100,000 square feet of space in the new Port Canaveral Logistics Center in Titusville to the American Red Cross to store relief supplies to help those who need assistance in the aftermath of the storm.
DCL’s October 8th 8AM Update – No Further Changes – Posted below for historical reference.
October 8, 2016 – 8:00 a.m.
Based on the projected path of Hurricane Matthew, as well as its expected impact on the Bahamas, Disney Cruise Line is making the following adjustments to itineraries:
- The October 8 sailing of the Disney Fantasy is being altered to a 6-night western Caribbean cruise departing on Sunday, October 9, from Port Canaveral. This sailing will include stops in Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Castaway Cay. Guests who remain on the revised itinerary will receive a pro-rated refund equal to the amount of one-night of their cruise fare and an onboard credit. Guests who would like to rebook a future sailing at a discount OR cancel their sailing for a full refund are invited to call us at 1-866-325-3905 or 407-566-7032 on Saturday, October 8.
- The October 1 sailing of the Disney Fantasy is being extended by one day given the uncertainty around the impact Hurricane Matthew will have on Port Canaveral. We are planning to disembark in Port Canaveral on Sunday, October 9. We are working with the guests onboard to assist them with their travel arrangements.
- The October 3 sailing of the Disney Dream is being extended by one day, as Port Canaveral will not be available for the ship’s scheduled arrival on Friday, October 7. We are now planning to disembark in Port Canaveral on Saturday, October 8, once the Coast Guard has determined that the port is safe for cruise ship operations. We are working with the guests onboard to assist them with their travel arrangements.
- The October 7 sailing of the Disney Dream from Port Canaveral is being cancelled. Refunds will automatically be processed back to the original form of payment used for cruise bookings. Guests are invited to call us at 1-866-325-3905 or 407-566-7032 beginning Monday, October 10, to book a future cruise at a discount.
- We are hopeful that the October 10 Disney Dream sailing will be able to complete its planned itinerary to Nassau and Castaway Cay. Should that not be possible, we are always prepared to visit alternate ports or spend days at sea.
- The October 7 sailing of the Disney Magic from New York is being changed to a Canadian itinerary, with plans to visit Sydney, Nova Scotia; Halifax, Nova Scotia; and Saint John, New Brunswick. Guests who remain on this revised itinerary will receive an onboard credit. Guests who would like to rebook a future sailing at a discount OR cancel their sailing for a full refund are invited to call us at 1-866-325-3905 or 407-566-7032.
While we always strive to deliver magical cruise vacations, nothing is more important to us than providing a safe experience for our guests and crew. We will continue to closely monitor Hurricane Matthew and provide updates as necessary.